How to Choose the Right Hearing Aid
While hearing aids were once more of a “one size fits all” proposition, current products are not your Grandfather’s hearing aid. Advancements in both functionality and styling have resulted in a wide array of options. While that means there is likely an ideal choice to fit your precise needs and preferences, it also means that you will have to dedicate some time and effort to find that perfect match.
Follow these 7 steps to ensure you achieve your hearing aid happily ever after.
- Find a trusted and experienced provider. Perhaps the most critical part of hearing aid selection is to have an expert by your side. While both Audiologists and hearing instruments specialists can sell hearing aids, Audiologists hold a master’s or doctoral degree in audiology. Palm Beach Sleep and Sinus’ Dr. Marissa Land has a doctorate degree and is a Fellow of the American Academy of Audiology. With significant knowledge in the area of hearing loss and access to a wide array of devices, Dr. Land works with patients to find the aid they both need and love.
- Involve a friend or loved one in the process. You will likely be confronted with a great deal of information. Having more than one person listening will help ensure that you retain all the important details.
- Determine what’s important to you. Hearing aids can be used for hearing everything from the television to conversations at your table in a bustling restaurant. By considering your lifestyle and identifying how you plan to utilize your device, your audiologist will better be able to identify what works best for you.
- Undergo a comprehensive hearing test. By determining what type of hearing loss you have, your audiologist will be able to best match you to a particular hearing aid.
- Take a test drive. Ask your audiologist for a demonstration of the aid you are considering so you can experience how it works in a variety of settings when it is programmed to your hearing loss.
- Take your time deciding. Your new hearing aid will likely be part of your daily life. As such, the choice of style and model is a very big decision. Don’t let yourself feel rushed into making a decision and be sure to ask any questions you may have.
- Don’t let your selection be the end of the process. At Palm Beach Sleep and Sinus, we value the relationship we build with our patients. Hearing aid users are encouraged to return after receiving their hearing aid for quarterly adjustments and cleaning or to address any issues they may be having.
Selecting a hearing aid is a serious decision. Be sure to employ all the best resources available to make your decision. At Palm Beach Sleep and Sinus, we are equipped to help you on this important journey.
Palm Beach Sleep and Sinus, under the direction of Mark T. Agrama, MD, is dedicated to the medical and surgical treatment of adult sleep, sinus and nose disorders. State of the art diagnostic protocols such as Home Sleep Studies, Laboratory Sleep Studies, Nasal Endoscopy, Video Flexible Laryngoscopy, Video Stroboscopy, Sleep Endoscopy, and CT Scan Imaging help us analyze our patient’s condition.
Our mission is the optimization of Sleep and Sinus health for our patients using a comprehensive and individualized plan designed for long-term success. To discuss a hearing aid, please contact us online or call 561-624-5311.